
I just returned from a fantastic holiday with my family. As school had a term break (at least the students did, I got to take some extra time) it was the perfect time to go away. So, here is my question... Why is Remembrance Day not a Stat holiday?? It really doesn't make sense, does it? We celebrate when the Thanksgiving Turkey came and fed us when we were starving. We celebrate in July when the fireworks scared away the enemy and we were able to keep Canada all to ourselves. We celebrate the night when we all stayed up until midnight and missed our curfews and ate fondue just so we could watch someone change the calendar from december to january (can we have the holiday every month?). So, I don't get it that when something so important... like celebrating the things that others have done in the name of our great country... the day isn't set aside as a stat holiday. Maybe we should all write to our government and demand that. And, while you're doing that, maybe you should let them know that Wayne Gretzky would be a great Governor General. Perhaps we should have a Governor General day...
Who better to represent Canada, eh??
I thought my helicopter looked pretty sweet... just thought I would let you see it!


7 comments:
I love your art...and I love Wayne too.
I would say the same about the helicopter. Very good. Have you considered the possibility of selling your art to the government at a fundraiser aimed at raising awareness for the "Make Rememberance Day a Stat Holiday" campaign? I think you could get it placed next to that orange and red painting they bought a few years ago.
Wayne G. He played hockey right?
:-)
School children, teachers, and postal workers get Veteran's Day (our version of Remembrance Day) off. I, however, do not get Veteran's Day off, despite being a veteran. Go figure!
I think I still have Bryan Adams's "Into The Fire" on cassette tape somewhere. It had a song called "Remembrance Day" on it. See...my love for Canada began at an early age!
Hey Sheryl,
We missed you on Ontario fairs... next year, there's always next year. Keep up the art work, soon you'll have to get limited edition prints and distribute them. THAT would be cool...
Sheryl, you're hilarious! I think YOU should be Governor General...
Hi Sheryl
Actually Remembrance Day IS a public (stat) holiday in Saskatchewan. It may not be in all provinces. Good thing you live here. The following is from the SK gov't website:
Rights & Responsibilities Guide
Public Holidays
There are nine public holidays per year: New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Saskatchewan Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day and Christmas Day.
The Director of Labour Standards may authorize that a public holiday be observed on a specified working day other than the public holiday.
Hope you feel much better now.
Rob Neufeld
Hey, Thanks Rob!! Actually, Rick Mc also commented to me via e-mail that Remembrance Day is a stat in SK. I guess I had been in MB when I heard all the complaining about it and just assumed... and you know what happens when you assume things.... but we won't get into that..
Post a Comment