Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Bon Voyage to ONTARIO!!

I have arrived safely in Ontario.

I flew into the London airport. It was a lot smaller than I was anticipating! It was great. I was looking out my window and I couldn't see any city... just fields and trees and countryside and I was wondering if I took the right flight or not. But by the time I got out to the 401, I knew that I was definately in Ontario.

I was following some great advice that I got from Doug yesterday. "Ignore the speed limit signs, Sheryl, and stay with the traffic," he had said. So, I was driving along at around 118 when I pass a sign that reads

FINE FOR BREAKING SPEED LIMIT: 120 km/h = $95 ... and so on...

But apparently I'm supposed to ignore that. It seems as though the signs in Ontario are more obvious than they are in SK or MB. Whereas the prairie provinces would say "Buckle up for Safety" or something nice like that, the Ontarians post billboards that say "FATIGUE KILLS!! take a break". It made me a little nervous.

But, the sunset was incredible! I ended up driving west (from London to Leamington) which I thought was strange seeing as I had just come from the west (I supposed technically I was driving southwest...), straight into a beautiful pink, orange and purple sunset. I was watching the sun slip away, out of sight amid this glorious dance of colour, when I thought (completely in the character of the moment) "I wonder what would happen on this highway if a deer jumped out of the bush..." It didn't happen. But I'm sure it would be disasterous for all involved.

Needless to say, I arrived at my destination in one piece and had a terrific evening at my billet's house (thanks Susan!!:). We'll see how tomorrow turns out...

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi Sheryl! This is my first visit to your blog. I totally forgot that you had one, but I got a letter (with Kool-Aid) from you today with a reminder. I'm glad you made it safely to Toronto. Isn't it scary driving there? Those road signs sound disconcerting. Maybe not as bad as driving in Kenya, though. I still don't have the nerve or desire to get my liscence here.

Sheryl said...

Yes, well, we all experienced the effects of Kenyan driving when you were here in summer and you had just been a passenger.. Maybe if you plan to stay there long term... I'm glad you found my blog!!