Monday, September 03, 2007

MORRIS


I found a salamander the other day. I'd been thinking about getting a lizard for my terrarium for a while now. Everyone who visits my house goes straight to the terrarium and looks in it as if there should be something crawling around in there. So, now there is. I found Morris outside my front door. I suppose that I kind of captured him and maybe it's a little inhumane, but he will have a good home in my warm, jungle-like terrarium. But did you know that salamanders eat live crickets?? Yes, yes they do. I dutifully went to the pet store and picked some up (actually, "some" meaning 40) and dumped them all into the terrarium. Morris snatched up 4 or 5 right off the bat. So, content that he was fine and enjoying his food, I went out for the rest of the day and evening. I returned home at about 10pm to find crickets hopping all over my living room!! Ack! I was surprisingly too chicken to catch them myself (how embarrassingly girly of me) but luckily, both Lisa and Erica were there to help me out. I moved some furniture and pointed them out and they caught them in a jar. I dumped them back into the terrarium and then taped up the entire lid. There should be no more escapees. I hope not, anyway.

I am thoroughly disappointed in myself for not handling the situation better... and for screaming like a girl. I used to teach Entymology Ecology at camp... I'm supposed to like bugs. There always has been a line for me, though, between looking at and catching bugs outside and having them in my house. Hopefully next time I will handle things better!

3 comments:

Heather said...

Does the lid of the terrarium have a screen in it or anything? Because otherwise how will Morris breathe in there now that it's all taped up? Won't he suffocate? I think you should also put a frog in your terrarium. And name it Fezzik the Frog. Then Fezzik and Morris can be best friends.

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I love that you left the part of you not wanting to pick them up out when you told the story at work! Way to go! And I love that you screamed like a girl. So funny.

Jo said...

I think you should get a girl salamander (if Morris is, actually, a boy) so that they can have baby salamanders. Wouldn't that be cute?? Fezzik could live in there too - he could be their uncle.
sorry...my mind is on baby things.
Were you supposed to put all 40 crickets in at once? That seems like a lot. What if they "ganged-up" on poor Morris before he could eat them all?
Has Gabby noticed Morris yet? I bet she noticed the crickets.
I think I would have screamed a lot more if there were crickets all over my house because I don't like bugs at all! (although I will still sooner put them in a jar and bring them outside than step on them. interesting....)
:)