Thursday, August 30, 2007

RINGETTE

Have any of you ever played ringette? As much as it looks like hockey and acts sort of like hockey... it is NOT hockey. Or at least, if you say "Oh, it's like hockey" to a ringette player when they are explaining the game to you, you should probably be prepared for a sucker punch, a body slam and probably a kick while you're down. Let me help you out with this.

Ringette is a game that is played with sticks, on ice, and a ring (like one of those pool rings you dive after):

There are 2-20 minute periods in ringette. The game is set up so the team has to work together. No one person can carry the ring all the way to the goal.


It is a Canadian game created originally for girls (it is still predominantly played by females). It's actually pretty interesting. This week I've been learning that the girls that play this game are very serious about it: they play hard, train like crazy and come back to camp ready to sleep!

Chapels have been going pretty well too. I am really enjoying getting to know the campers and staff that are here. Yesterday one of the ringette campers became a Christian!! It was a great reminder that God really does own this camp and is at work here.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Are you going to start playing? You should. It sounds like fun!

Becky said...

I played ringette. I sucked. Bad. I routinely apologized for bumping into people and would politely get out of the way for other players if they wanted the ring... Which is odd, because I am very competitive, just not physically competitive I guess.