Friday, September 28, 2007

THE END OF THE WORLD

I was launched off the edge of the world yesterday. Well, almost. It was an incredible experience, though. I couldn't tell where the sky began and the earth ended and it really did create the impression that at any moment, I could drive off one of those wheat-stubbled prairie hills (yes, I know, I said "hills" and I'm in Saskatchewan and I'm telling the truth). I can't even remember where I was, but I was driving north(ish) from Swift Current. There was a curve in the road right before a wide valley and I literally gasped when I came around the corner. It really looked like the edge of the world was right before me.

It seemed like after that things seemed more vivid than normal. It might have been high humidity or something. I watched a flock of geese point their way across the clear blue sky. I noticed the gold of the finished fields. I was captivated by a line of cows and calves walking a single file line to water. I saw a mule deer stand as a statue and silently watch me drive by.

I don't often enter those moments. Usually when I drive, the music is playing and I am singing along or just letting my mind rest on nothing in particular. But when I do notice, when I focus on the ordinary, I am enchanted.

No comments: