My house is a zoo. I've recently noticed how many things live with me in my basement suite. Not only do I have a cat, a salamander and the crickets I've talked about before... I also have a lovely brown spider (not a brown recluse, Heather, I checked) living in her web in my bathroom, a centipede that shows up in my room for a visit now and then, a few odd looking black bugs that crawl around on the walls and various other spiders that entertain my cat off and on. I don't mind living in the zoo, as long as all the animals/insects behave properly. The centipede has to stay on the floor and can only walk along the wall... if it doesn't I will have to squish it. The spiders are only allowed to live in my house if they build a web and stay on it. Any spiders that are wandering aimlessly about will be subject to squishing or eating (by my cat - she might also just play until the poor wandering spider is dead and then she will leave it lying, curled up on my floor). Other bugs can find a home in my walls, under my stove, along the edges of my carpet only if they stay away from the foot traffic or if they don't draw attention to themselves. However, if the population of said bugs exceeds 5... they may be subject to squishing.

I suppose as long as I can identify the bugs as harmless or "not-scary", they can stay. The spiders though... I seriously HATE the ones that don't have webs. Those normal, gigantic, long-legged things that speed down my hallway seriously freak me out. I like it when I see Gabby playing with one of them. This time of year, though, they are freakishly large. I think they must have grown up in my walls and are now exercising their fat bodies.
Anyway, since I'm not ever going to be rid of ALL the bugs/animals in my house, I may as well just survive them, right? I can handle that... to a certain extent.
8 comments:
KILL THEM. KILL THEM ALL. (Well, not the cat or salamander obviously.:)
It's so nice that bugs and arachnids can find shelter in your cosy, warm basement suite, as long as they're well-mannered. You are truly a hero to homeless pests everywhere. I salute you. (Have you named anything Fezzik yet?)
Squish 'em dead Sheryl. Those spiders are often found wandering in our house too, and if we are gone for more than a day I can be 90% sure that I'll find a GIGANTIC one in the bathtub. I'm so not a fan of spiders, webs or not. I must squish them, and then I check the kleenex to make sure their guts are pleasantly spewed. Yup, satisfaction.
Please ask them to stay in the basement. Thank you. Monty, Daisy, and their human.
Please tell me that is not a picture of YOUR spider... i may not be able to visit you any more.
Aren't there some great movies about bugs? Arachnophobia and others....
You can add a bird to your biosphere, which gives you a step between the insects and cat. Cat would obviously be the top of the food chain, as you cannot eat her. You're sort of on your own food chain...frozen veggies to human.
Dunn, that's hilarious.
Post a Comment