Saturday, November 03, 2007

MONKEY MUSIC


You know how the monkey dances to the organ grinders music box? Does there ever come a time when the monkey dances to the music because he "feels" the music moving his limbs or does he always only dance to the music because that's what he's been trained to do?

I sometimes, like now, let myself dance to the music that plays on my laptop. Okay, I know I'm mennonite and I truly can't dance at all, but I'm dancing nonetheless in my heart. So, yes, I am multitasking right now as I dance in my heart, listen to music, think about what to say and type on my laptop.. haha.. I'm so amazing :) But really, like now, I am allowing the music that's playing to affect my emotional stability. The song is melancholy so I am feeling melancholy. The fun part about this little excercise is that my playlist is on random. I don't know if the next song will also be melancholy or if it will be happy. Oh wait.. it's melancholy again. Now I'm going to have to type a little more just to make it into the next song so you don't think that all the music I listen to is melancholy. Anyway, about that monkey. Here's a little spiritual analogy for all those who have probably already drawn their own spiritual analogy from what I've begun here (and now you're not going to like my analogy because it won't match yours...so, I'm sorry.. I just have to continue despite the conflict it may create between us): I think that the music of our hearts is not monkey music. I think that the music God creates for us to dance to is never the same... never. I don't know about you, but there has never been a time when God has answered my requests of Him in exactly the same way as He had done before. Sometimes the answer is still yes, but it comes in a different way or takes longer to arrive than the last "yes". If God meant for us to be monkeys, He would have had us trained a long time ago.

Here's another little thought that just came to mind: I think we humans would LIKE to be monkeys for God. I think it would make life a whole heck of a lot better if when we heard the same music, we danced the dance and got the treat at the end of it. I know that I would quickly learn that system. Again, though, God does not want us to be monkeys. We get the excitment of trusting Him to work in different ways. We get the anticipation of a new dance, a new song, a new result.

I'm glad I'm not a monkey...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're not a monkey too!

I hope I'm not one either. I think sometimes I try to follow certain patterns in my spiritual life, and try to pack God up into a neat little box. But I pray that God will break apart our own designs to reveal His plans, throwing in some of those beautiful surprises that just leave us in awe.

By the way, you dance way better than a monkey. Really. I've had brief glimpses your dancing greatness.

Jo said...

But...you look like a monkey :)
hee hee
Just kidding! I liked your spiritual analogy - even if it wasn't the same as mine. We can talk about it when you're in Winnipeg next!

Kelly said...

okay, its early in the morning and I don't string thoughts together well at the best of times, but here is my thought on the monkey dance analogy;
I think we spend a lot of time trying to ignore the small voice that reminds us of our uniqueness, our special song/dance. But when that song that is uniquely ours is playing, we recognize the melody .. immediately. Mostly we don't respond, but when we do, its usually good.

Sheryl said...

I like that.. thanks Kelly!