Saturday, February 24, 2007

MY OFFICE

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but my office is very leaky. It has been leaking on and off during the winter time and has been a source of both major frustration and hysterical hilarity... okay, mostly the frustration part. It happens in my particular office because our school has a flat roof and my office is in the very last corner of the old building. When it snows, the snow accumulates in the corner of the roof above my office and the heat from the building melts the bottom layers of snow. Apparently there are lots of cracks that it can flow through and drip down the window or the wall onto my floor. Most of the time our maintenance guy (Gerald) is pretty good about shovelling away the snow and keeping it leak free but since we have had SO MUCH snow this year, it is hard for him to keep up.
During the weekend when I know that I won't be in my office, the little Bethany cups that I have strategically placed all over my window sill and floor aren't sufficient so I thought that I would show you what me and my supervisor (Dave P) rigged up. It works very well and makes me laugh everytime I come into my office:

Here you see 2 Monthly Planners stapled together and duct taped to the top of my window. This is the view from just inside the doorway. You can see my laptop in the bottom left corner.

This is what the Monthly Planner Funnel emtpies into (my recycle bin).


Yes, there are 3 Bethany Cups in this picture all catching stray leaks. That chair is there to hold the recycle/water bin at the end of the Monthly Planner Funnel which is taped to the window to catch the leaks that come through the roof after the snow has fallen on the school that Bethany built....

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Those leaks are mighty close to your powerbar, aren't they? Don't zap yourself, k? We don't want to add to the wonderful curls you've got on your head! Or would they straighten after getting electricuted...

Anonymous said...

Never can tell what you will blog about... LOL!

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty nifty runoff collection apparatus. Yeah, don't electicute yourself. I'm actually also worried that you're building up more and more mold around your office (above and in the walls). They definitely need to replace the roof! And then do some mold surveys in your room to make sure it's a healthy environment (take it from a former environmental consultant). Not that you're in there very much with all your traveling.

Anonymous said...

I agree with last comment about the mold. I lived in a basement appartment with water problems and it lead to black mold! It can lead to real health problems.

The Amazing Audrey said...

Hi Sheryl!
I'm a super crazy funny mood right now..... so I figured I'd send you a comment that you can read, cuz well.. that's what comments are for. But anyways back to the comment... and no I don't have ADD!
I think your super cool and I miss the fun times we had at camp. Remember when we went to go see a movie the day before we left for india and I sent that note under you door asking you to come with. That was some fun times there. But anywho hope you're having fun.
Audrey

Sheryl said...

Don't worry, guys, I rearranged my office and the power bar isn't under the drip anymore... and I'm still alive...

Melanie said...

WHEW!