Saturday, January 13, 2007

I'M BACK

WOW! What an incredible week. I know that I was expecting some kind of change (as always happens when taken out of your comfort zone), but what I didn't expect was how the students really rose to every occasion. As the leader I had been a little nervous at the prospect of pushing my team through a very packed schedule all week. We even had a 6:30 Breakfast to serve at the Salvation Army (we woke up at 5am that day...). But it was incredible to see how the students really did find the things that they enjoyed or where their talents/passions were and they served with all their hearts. I was overwhelmed sometimes at their willingness to give.

We visited a number of different places and wished that we could have spent more time at some. We were at a youth drop in center (that was almost exactly like a dance club - all of us mennonite kids trying to dance.. that must have been funny to watch), Salvation Army, Calgary Drop In and Rehab Centre, Highland Church and Street Church. We gave away hot chocolate on the streets during the coldest day of this year and learned how generous people with nothing can be.

I have to say that the best part of the trip though, was during one of the Team Times. Me and my team would meet everyday to pray and discuss the day and worship together. On Tuesday night we decided to have a time of encouragement. We were supposed to think of a specific thing that each student had done that was encouraging, or some character trait that really stood out during the work we were doing that week. It was hard to stop! There were so many good qualities that each student had and they had really given so much and we had learned so much about each other in that short time. I was encouraged that my team had taken the time to notice each other and to forget themselves.

It is my prayer now, that we won't forget those things that we learned now that we're back.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' Matthew 25:32-40

2 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad you had a good time on your missions trip. I hope all that you and your team learned will stay with you. Thanks for the encouraging and inspiring post!

Stephen said...

I'm happy that you're all safe and sound back home. I'm also very encouraged by your desire to keep the lessons of the trip in your heart and mind. Going on missions is easy when you realize that living the mission daily is the calling.