Friday, December 29, 2006

CHRISTMAS...DONE; 2006...ALMOST DONE

Well? What did you get for Christmas? What did you give? What did you get out of Christmas?

Good. Me too. I had a great Christmas and now it's time to start preparing for a whole new year: 2007. Whenever I imagine going from December to January there is this long climb up the side of the bulletin board in my grade one teachers' room. When I was in grade one, at the beginning of every day we had routine: start with singing O Canada! and then the months of the year. Oh right, and then the roll call. I remember one time when everyone in my gr. 1 class had the chicken pox except 3 of us and our teacher still went through the roll call every morning... still said every person's name. Never change the routine!

But, getting back to my imaginary climb up the side of the bulletin board... the months of the year were printed on these colourful, laminated strips of paper and lined up in order with January, of course, at the top and December at the bottom. It always seems such a long way from December to January. It's hard to imagine that on Monday... this coming Monday... it is going to be January.. I think I need a few more days of climbing.


If only my gr. 1 teacher would have used one of these, I would have no need for that awful climb...


6 comments:

Heather said...

Didn't you also sing "Good Morning To You" and say the Lord's Prayer every morning? Grade One was fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The years fly by faster and faster, especially with my three kids filling up my time. Next year babe one will start school and I am sure many school memories will then come back to me... hopefully only the good ones...

Your a lovely writer!

B. Fehr

Anonymous said...

Yay, it's 2007! Hope you, your family, and your friends had a good start to the new year. I'm going to bed!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, the timestamp isn't accurate...it's about 2am here.

Dayna Chu said...

Happy New Year, Sheryl! If it makes you feel any better, Chinese new year is not until February 18 this year. I think I'll hold out for that so it can't sneak up on me so fast! Well, at least it works for my excuse for late 'annual letters' ... what? what? my husband's Chinese, can't you have a little cross cultural respect ;o) Not quite sure you'll be able to pull it off though!

Stephen said...

Happy New Year Sheryl!!

We also sang "Good Morning to You" in my first school experience. It's a classic.