Saturday, December 16, 2006

THAT GREAT WINTER WEATHER

I am home safe and sound from my SK Christian Schools tour and I can say that I'm glad. The tour was fun, but I heard there was a 15 car pile-up near Martensville and being on the road isn't happy when things like that happen. I will tell you a little about the last two venues, though, as I noticed that Wednesday was my last post (so you missed out on both RJC and Regina Christian School).


RJC (Rosthern Junior College)

I was wondering, lately, why people pronounce Rosthern as "Ros-thern" and not "Ros-tern" as I do. It kind of bugs me, actually, but maybe I am the one in the wrong. I think I've heard at least 5 people pronounce Rosthern the "wrong" way and so am very curious to know which way is right? I can't actually think of any other English words that put an S-T-H together and pronounce the TH with a T sound, so maybe I'm the one that is wrong. However, I believe "Rosthern" is a German word so I'm sure there is a difference in pronunciation. You guys can all let me know what your opinions are of that pronunciation and I'm going to show you some pictures of Rosthern...



I, personally, didn't see this tall stalk of wheat, but the internet tells me that it is near Rosthern.




I'm assuming this is also a familiar sight near Rosthern since this came up quickly while searching for images of Rosthern on Google...


Regina Christian School

What a great school! It is HUGE and brick and very austere. Plus, we got to use the elevator and got lost on the way down, which was funny. Oh, and a group of high school girls brought me a coffee... that was really nice! I think the boys (meaning Dan and Nathan - the other recruiters) spent most of their time watching the elementary recess hockey game then attending to their tables. How exciting that must have been... (I didn't have to watch because they gave me the radio broadcast version the entire time). Here are some pictures that kind of match what I was just writing about:


This is an arial picture that I took after the great glass elevator shot out of the chocolate factory...


This is where we went for Supper on Thursday. It was very good.


Nathan (FGBC recruiter) was very insistent that I know some hockey stats for all you fans out there. So, what I know is that Sidney Crosby who is only 19, had a 6 point game on Wednesday night and now holds the record. Pretty amazing. All this hockey talk reminds me of a little campaign that I have going here and thought I should remind you all that maybe you should suggest to our government that this guy be our next governor general:


5 comments:

Stephen said...

Speaking as one who as studied some german (12years) I believe that you are correct in your pronounciation. Plus that's the way that it's pronounced at our school.

I'm organizing my own SK Christian school trip for Jan-Feb, got any pointers?

Sheryl said...

I thought you already were out here visiting RJC and others! If you want pointers you're going to have to e-mail me... I don't give out trade secrets in public places!!!

Becky said...

Ros-turn.

Anonymous said...

I would say Ros-thern. But then, I pronounce decal "dee-cal" and not "deckal." I know, us crazy Americans!

Out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheryl...

My first comment.... just wanted to say I am enjoying your blog. Keep it up...

Yes I am going by Anne. Perhaps you remember that in college my then boy friend thought that was my name for a while... he has it right now... he should since we have been married for six years.

Always B. Fehr