This has been a realization that has sat in the back of my mind for the last year.... maybe more. I know I've only been working at Bethany College for 1 year but I've had other jobs that I have given practically my entire social life to... Winkler Bible Camp, for example! I remember when I was in high school I used to think that people who worked shift work, evenings or weekends were just not smart. Why couldn't they just demand a Monday to Friday, 9-5 job and be happy... Little did I know what I would become. I guess it really comes down to the feeling that most of the time (notice, I didn't say ALL the time), my work doesn't feel like work because I really, truly love it. I remember when I worked at WBC and I would have a day off. I would end up coming to visit the people who were working and basically working partial days because I couldn't handle being away. It's true that I took care of animals there and they require daily attention whether I was off or not, but I don't take care of animals now... so what's my problem?Am I just becoming a product of our society? That life is work and work is life? Or are work places becoming a little more relaxed and becoming more social and friendly?
Or.. maybe the more I see my job as a ministry, the less it looks like a job and more like a lifestyle.
2 comments:
Good mental discussion.
I was also thinking, after I teased you on facebook, that you have jobs that are connected, if not completely, ministry. There is, for sure, a difference if you are pals with your co-workers and that is probably easier in a Christian organization...
I guess my problem was, when I was working I didn't try to get to know anyone there... I really did keep my social and work life completely different... now you have me thinking that that wasn't totally healthy either.
HOWEVER, you still really need breaks too!
Hey Lyrehs! I'm truly happy you love your job! You might recall me telling you about my situation with hating my chosen career and making the change to higher ed. It's been five years now, and I still smile in the morning (and not feel sick to my stomach, like I used to). It's a blessing. The beauty of it is that it can become pure joy if you do have the mindset (and "heartset") that you're doing kingdom work.
Post a Comment