Do you remember the music history exam I was stressing about a month ago? Well, I just checked my mark online and it turns out... I passed! With Honours... oh yeah! So now I get my ARCT Piano Performers diploma to hang on my wall or to put in a drawer somewhere and forget about. I'm pretty excited. Actually, this feeling of relief is a little bit overwhelming. My entire life (at least most of what I remember) has been spent working toward something in piano and now, all the sudden, it's done. I suppose I could go for my Teacher's diploma too. All I would need to do there is write an exam and do a Teacher's exam... much less intimidating than the Performer's requirements. Then maybe I'll retire from Recruitment and go into full time piano teaching... ha ha... not likely.
I was thinking the other day that I really need things like that to work towards otherwise I'm likely to sit on the couch all evening and do nothing... zone out the world and sit there like a zombie... oh, so very flattering, I know. Motivation is the key to my mental health. And chewable vitamins. I've always admired those people, too, who are lifelong learners. Those people who continually go back to school or take a correspondance course or pick up a new instrument later in life. I hope I can be that kind of person. There are so many things to do in life, it would be a shame not to try as many as I can!
The Ceremony (isn't that church beautiful?)

Joanne and Mark Simpson

Heather and Me toasting the Bride (with non-alcoholic Saskatoon Berry Wine...)
3 comments:
I hear ya Sheryl. I just finished my last guitar lesson this week. I've never learned to play guitar until this year where I decided that I needed to make the commitment and just do it. Now I need to establish a new goal for playing so that I keep going. You could retire from recruiting and become a music teacher and maybe I could retire and become a rock star. Then I'll actually be a grown up. Sorry that comment might need some background. I've maintained for the past number of years that when I grow up I want to be a rock star, a cowboy or Mac Powell.
Actually, I think you'd be a very good teacher. You're very patient (or at least it seems that way to me...perhaps others may dispute me). But congratulations in any case. If you've invested that much time and energy into something, it must be both a huge source of joy and a huge sense of relief.
It is so weird that I didn't come away from last year's tour with the sense you were so incredibly musical. Not that we had a spare piano or keyboard laying around on the bus. I'm sure you told me several times, but you know my memory. And I guess we had other things to talk about. Low flying planes, celebrity lifestyles, that sort of thing.
Over.
Good for you Sheryl! I don't mind the life long learning thing, as long as actually school is not involved...
Post a Comment