Monday, March 12, 2007

7 DAYS OF CANADA

I am surprised with how warm it is. I suppose I shouldn't get my hopes up and assume that the weather will stay this nice until the winter melts away. We usually have a few highs and lows before the spring decides to stay. Unfortunately, I will not get to experience the ups and downs of March. I will be in Africa. I'm not saying that it is unfortunate that I will be in Africa, but I don't know how many of you realize how much I LOVE the smell of wet dirt. I love the smell of the snow melting and the frost rising out of the ground. I love slogging through mud puddles and catching frogs and buckets of bugs...

When I worked at Winkler Bible Camp, I actually taught a course called Entymology Ecology... or the ecology of insects, really. I focused mostly on water insects because there was a creek at the camp and, let's face it, every kid loves to tromp around in the water and catch things. My favourite water "thing" is the whirligig beetle. These are those little, sort of roundish, black beetles that often swim in groups. They are the ones that if you come up to a pond, you'll see a whole bunch of them "whirling" away from the edge of the pond. They carry a bubble of air on their butts that allows them to breath underwater for long periods of time.
Pretty interesting, eh?? Yep, that's what I thought!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

You are a unique individual, Sheryl. Especially if you like bugs that eat bubbles off their butts.

You are welcome to come back to camp for a visit after Africa. I'm sure we'll have plenty of mud for you to enjoy all summer long!

As for the computer question on my blog, we have someone interested in purchasing our "old" cpu, so sorry to your dad. But if he is looking for a computer, tell him to check on ebay. We got a super deal for a refurbished model.

Have an awesome time in Africa! I'm guessing you'll be using the same lightweight clothes you sewed for India?

Anonymous said...

And the countdown continues. I'm preparing for your absence from North America by eating selections from the dollar menu, and keeping on the lookout for low flying planes. Those things will help remind me of you. I think I shall indeed be experiencing some Sheryl-withdrawal while you're away. But hopefully you can find some time during your trip to update all of us who are envying your time in Africa.

I might stir some envy in you by telling you about our major thaw down here across the border. Oh yes, there's a lot of mud now! It will get cold again, and some snow is forecast later this week. But the warm weather is nice while it lasts.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back winter! Storm hitting Saskatchewan today... not surprised cuz I always positivly expect the negative... LOL!