I find that I compose blog posts in my head mostly when I'm sitting in the airport. I have to say that I find airports fascinating! I know that you have noticed this because I always blog about my airport experiences. I think it's mostly because I have to be "stationary" with the same people for so long that I'm bound to do something dumb or think I'm doing something dumb.. or see someone else doing something dumb.
Yesterday, I went through security at the S'toon airport. Have you noticed how the Saskatoon airport has one of the highest security standards in Canada?? I think it's because they have a lot of time on their hands. When I went through yesterday, there were about 10 people on duty and I was the only person "in line". So.. I was search-wanded. My bags were thoroughly explored. My laptop was dusted. All by some very polite, obviously bored people.. or perhaps they are so passionate about security that they do this rigorous search with every passenger. Perhaps.
The S'toon airport just recently bought some comfy couches. They were lovely. I sat there for a while, working on a poster for another fundraising Gourmet Dinner for my church (phone 497-2807 to make reservations!). The announcement was made to line up for the flight and I looked over and was CERTAIN that I saw someone I knew. I raised my eyebrows and smiled at him and thought.. that can't be him, he's not even supposed to be in the country. So I thought, if I see his wife with him, then it has to be him. So I looked around him and, sure enough, I recognized his wife standing right next to him. So, I picked up my things and walked towards him to say "hi" and catch up... unfortunately (or maybe this is fortunate), when I was about half way there I realized that it was just a freak chance. That this man was NOT the person that I knew and the lady I thought was his wife (and who looked almost exactly like her) was not even with that guy. So, I casually sauntered by and stood in line... feeling extremely dumb.
We landed in Calgary and as I walked the miles and miles to my connecting flight, a middle aged man took it upon himself to make sure I got there safely. Now, I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but middle aged men in airports... I've met a lot of them. I don't know why they assume that I want to talk to them, but apparently I look like the talking sort. If you are a middle aged man and you are reading this and you have talked to a 20-something girl in the airport at one time or another... please don't do it anymore... Anyway, thanks to him and all the blazing, obvious signs around me, I made it onto my connecting flight to Vancouver.
I've never been to Vancouver Airport before. Well, I did make a connecting flight inside the airport before, but I've never had to leave or arrive at the airport. Leaving an unfamiliar airport can be very distressing at times. I had booked a car at Enterprise which has an office off-site but offers free shuttle service from the airport. I called the Enterprise office to make sure I would be picked up, found the shuttle stop and waited. And waited and waited and waited. Finally, I phoned again.. to find out that I was at the complete wrong spot. I was actually about 1/2 a mile away. Wonderful. Luckily, the driver of the shuttle was extremely (overly, actually) nice and helpful and even gave me a map of vancouver which he highlighted for me so I would find my way out of Vancouver. He must have thought I was directionally challenged. As offended as I could be because of that assumption.. I then have to remember that I got lost in Abbotsford just this morning... I need help...
Oh by the way.. the day ended extremely well. It also helps that I am driving a Yaris!!! (and it was +4 outside today...I'm NOT rubbing that in...).
4 comments:
Hey! Be fair to the poor, sweet middle-aged man! (What are you, an age-ist, or something?) He was just trying to help. You seem to have a very low tolerance for "overly nice" people, as you call them. Maybe YOU should try to be a little nicer.
Glad you're on the road again and blogging about it. Have fun and if you see Zion, say HI from me!
I don't have your email address! I can't add you to my blog list!
Facebook message me with your address please!
Becky Munro-Fehr
I HATE going through the Saskatoon airport...I actually made a complaint once it was so bad...they patted down my 80 year old grandma...how dumb is that...anyways....I won't get started. Well I miss you in the office. Have fun and come back soon!
Saskatoon still shines, huh!? Had to chuckle when I saw that photo.
You know what, I just realized this week that one of my favorite things about my job transition is that i'm NOT travelling right now. I was thinking of all you guys gearing up to be on the road again and revelling in the realization that I wasn't going anywhere unless I wanted to...glad to hear that it still brings you joy and am enjoying your adventures!
Post a Comment