Tuesday, April 17, 2007

I LOVE SPRING!!

Hooray! It is springtime and I love it!

My parents are coming over for supper today. The only times I ever "get" good meals in my life now are on Tuesdays when I invite my parents over for supper and the weekends when I go to my parents house for either Saturday, Sunday or both. I don't think I know how to grocery shop anymore. My fridge is empty and my freezer is full of brussel sprouts (my favourite veggie), ground beef, chicken, shrimp and one (thankfully) pizza that is waiting for a very desperate day when I need it. I'm sick of pasta and my homemade-from-powder cheese sauce. I'm sick of eating pickles for snack because they are the only snack I have (mom gave me those for free). I'm sick of drinking milk that is 4 days past due. I don't like hoping there are apples and caramel sauce for snack at youth so I can get in a serving of fruit. I need help.

Someone teach me how to stock my house with fruits, vegetables and milk products when it is abnormal for me to be at home for a full week at a time!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot about your affinity for brussel sprouts! Did I tell you about the last time I had brussel sprouts? I won't go into details, but I haven't had them for over 25 years now. Well, hopefully we can still be friends. Just don't be offended if I don't have them when I'm at your place (or if I don't serve them when you're at mine).

They're not ideal, but frozen veggies are your best bet for nutrients over the very long haul. That and canned stuff. But you knew that. The trouble with fresh stuff is that, despite everyone's techniques to determine freshness, there's really no accurate way to figure out how fresh they are. For some really weird reason, the organic stuff we buy around here actually tends to last longer (go figure! You'd think the chemicals they use on non-organic stuff would make things last longer).

Fruits tend to ripen faster when stored in smaller spaces, because the natural chemicals they emit signal fruits to ripen. That's why you can put unripened fruit in a bag with other fruit to speed up the ripening.

Milk...well, not sure what you can do about that.

Heather said...

We have boxed milk here that has a shelf life of like 6 months. It was pasterized at an ultra-high temperature or something. I wonder if they have that in Canada; you should look for it. It's what we use when we don't have fresh milk. Also, I think powedered milk is pretty good at home; here I buy Dutch Lady brand and it's quite good. Also, you can "make" milk by adding water to canned evaporated milk. So there you go.

Here's an idea...why don't you just take a day sometime to cook up a few real meals and then separate them into individual plates and then wrap them in foil and freeze them (Puneeta's mom used to do this for her when she was in college) and then you can just take them out of the freezer and microwave them like a TV dinner when you need them. It's genius!

Heather said...

But make sure you take the foil off before you microwave them, okay? Or else put them in the oven...the foil can stay on then. :)

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I like Heathers suggestion...next time I do that for Tim and I...I'll make a few for you. You need to come over for dinner more often. Come anytime!

Anonymous said...

Wow, everyone is full of good ideas. I also suggest powdered milk. The midalien brand is very nice too! Then you just mix up a little at a time so it will not spoil when you are gone.

Also like the frozen meal ideas.

Try doing a menu sometime too if you know what your month is going to look like then you can have the exact amount of foods around for what you will make and nothing extra... I really enjoy doing the menu thing. Started when Garnet was in the band cuz our life was so crazy and this made it easier to have decent meals...