Wednesday, February 27, 2008

SHOCKED AND CONFUSED

As you know, my life has been touring it's way through Alberta. I truly like Alberta. It's beautiful country and everyone drives big trucks. Today I stopped on the side of the highway to take some pictures and was overwhelmed by the smell of a feed lot not too far away. It was great! I really like that smell. Here is the serenity of the moment (without the smell):

A few minutes later, I stopped in Nanton for a bathroom break. Now, I have some friends who NEVER use public washrooms because they think it's disgusting and I admit that I have laughed at them (if not to their faces, in my head.. I'm sorry) because, of course, on road trips, whenever and where ever you stop, the rule is "YOU MUST GO TO THE BATHROOM". I can't stand it when we stop for a washroom break and then ten minutes down the road someone has to go. There is nothing more frustrating... So, dutifully, I went to the washroom. Well, first I should say that I went to the door of the building (the entrance) and it had a sign on it that said "Use Other Door" and I couldn't find the other door. Interesting. I should have driven away right then. Eventually, I found the RIGHT door and entered the scuzzy hollow of a gas station. I noted the washroom sign and navigated around the corner to see a door with a female figure on the front - obviously, the girls washroom. I pushed the door open and walked in, turned around the corner into a stall and stopped.. shocked. There were two urinals standing right there. In my women's washroom! I turned around and walked out. Stopped outside the door. Turned around and noticed, this time, that it is supposed to be a "multi-gendered" washroom. What?! That's right... multigendered. Interesting. I went back in, because this time I truly NEEDED to. Found that there was a lock on the inside of the main door, found a stall with a toilet and NOT a urinal. Ick. It is an experience like this that causes me to rethink why I ever use public washrooms. At least, I will never EVER use the washroom at the Esso on the north side of Nanton again.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Ugh, you have made me cringe. That is absolutely disgusting.

Stephen said...

Well, now you've received a glimpse into what a guys washroom is like. Urinals and toilets together...

On our way back from Calgary to Swift Current Katie needed to stop for a bathroom break. We found a rest stop and she went into the girls side and came out seconds later going into the guys washroom. When she got back to the truck she explained that the womens washroom was the grossest thing she'd ever seen. I won't give details... this is a G rated blog.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. I should tell you about a GREAT rest-stop experience. If you get gas in Davidson, you can get a free loaf of baked bread. its tasty. and their bathroom is okay.
kelly

Melanie said...

Ok, enough with the bathroom post. Get a different one on here! C'mon Sheryl, please?