
I recently bought a book that I've been trying to find for quite some time now. I read it when I worked at the library in Meadow Lake (ages ago..:). For some reason it really strikes a chord with me.. haha (that's my attempt at a pun). The book is called "The Fabulous Song" by Don Gilmor and illustrated by Marie-Louise Gay.
In the book, Frederic Pipkin is forced to try to learn all sorts of musical instruments because his family is musical and so, therefore, he should be too. He doesn't do well. He can't seem to find what "fits"... until the end when he and his entire family produce this fabulous song that no one has ever heard, with Frederic playing the most integral part. (I'm trying not to give away the ending here, so sorry if it's a little vague).
The book speaks to me of self-worth and self-discovery and even a little of self-confidence. It was interesting, too, that yesterday (the day after I got the book in the mail) at the Connection (Emmanuel Baptist Church) the sermon touched on the same kind of message. The main focus was on duplicity and how do we keep ourselves from trying to do everything just because we are "supposed" to and just do the things God created us for. We are each unique. Each of us plays a part. But, if we each try to do everyone else's parts too, things get messy. We get tired. We get discouraged. We wonder where God's strength is.. but maybe He never intended us to do those things.
How content am I to play only my part? I know that I am certainly not content with that all the time. It was Paul that stated in 1 Corinthians 12: 17-20:
"If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. "
What part are you?
4 comments:
Wow, I am gonna have to read that book. Amen, Sheryl... I see that in so many people, including myself, particularly in my past. That is probably why so many people don't know who they are!
I think that is why I quit music and why I have tried so much harder to be an entertainer. Music always felt forced but it feels right doing things with and for people and planning events.
Thanks for the reminder Sheryl. I find myself wanting to be a part of everything and therefore not giving my 100% in the area that God has gifted me. It's a good reminder. I too shall look for this book in a library near me :)
great observation... and I like that word: duplicity. Its almost like we betray our true selves by trying to be something other...thanks for this.
also, do you have Town Mouse, Country Mouse? (the children's book?) Kelly
Hey I just the cd with the same title from the library this week for Madeline. Would you like to come over and have a listen?
Post a Comment