Tuesday, February 12, 2008

LENT


So we are well into the first week of lent. I don't know when I started, but I've tried to give something up most years during this season. I really think it's a good thing to fast from something... not only for the personal rewards (because I usually give up something I'm obviously addicted to) but because it prepares me for the Easter Season and turns my thoughts towards Christ and what all He gave up for me. My addictions are a small price to pay compared to His sacrifice.

This year I wanted to choose something to give up that would mean "time". I was feeling like God really wanted me to put aside a portion of my day that I usually don't spend with Him and devote it to just listening and praying. I've never done this before. I've given up coffee or chocolate or eating green beans.. something that I just do alongside other things during the day. It's a new experience to have a forced "time" period to spend with God.

I am overwhelmed by what Jesus did for me. I hope to be even more so by the time Easter comes. I want to be in a state where there is NOTHING that I can do but give Him EVERYTHING in return.

1 comment:

Dayna Chu said...

Thanks for your thoughts on lent, Sheryl; I've not been a part of lenton traditions in the past, but I think maybe it's time to start (albeit a bit late... Easter is so early this year eh?).

My mom always jokes that she's giving up church for lent (she doesn't attend anyway!);

I have a friend who is fasting from facebook... Oooh, good one; that kind of made me feel convicted (but does conviction count if it's not conviction from the Holy Spirit... or is conviction from the Holy Spirit regardless of the "source"?)