Monday, February 25, 2008

I was in Edmonton this weekend and thought to myself how wonderfully different this Alberta trip is compared to the B.C. trip that I so recently messed up. I'll highlight a few of my favourite things about Edmonton (or Alberta, if I can generalize) :

1. Edmonton is easy to navigate.
2. I got a free upgrade on my rental car.
3. I managed to score FREE PARKING all weekend long during the conference in DOWNTOWN Edmonton.
4. EVERYONE here drives a BIG truck.
5. I ate cheesecake at a Russian Tea House.
6. I met countless people that I know and didn't know but know now.
7. I went shopping at IKEA.
8. McDonald's STILL has great breakfast sandwiches.
9. The snow is melting (it's not raining, like it was in Vancouver the day I missed my flight).
10. Did I say the city is easy to navigate?

There you have it, folks. 10 things I like about Edmonton. I think it's becoming my second favourite city (after Saskatoon, of course). Now, if you can think of your favourite city, please comment and let me know and WHY you think your favourite city is great (yes, this is a ploy to get people to leave more comments on my blog.. please fall for it..)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must give props to Chicago since I grew up there. And 9.7 million folks can't be wrong. When I talk to people who visit, typically the only complaint they have is the traffic, and the size of O'Hare airport. And yes, the traffic is at times horrendous. Otherwise, it has anything and everything you could possible want in a city...sports, music, performing arts, visual arts, museums, theater, food, festivities, green spaces, beaches, shopping, and pretty nice people. I like the suburbs too, although some more than others.

My top 5:

1) Chicago
2) Seattle
3) Vancouver
4) Minneapolis-St. Paul
5) San Sebastian (Spain)

Honorable mention:

San Francisco, Calgary, Dog River (okay, I know it's actually Rouleau).

Melanie said...

I heard you met my brother and sister-in-law! I'm a wee bit jealous since I haven't seen them for a few months.

My favorite city would have to be Edmonton as well. Why? Close to Brad & Helanna, easier to navigate (you're right), beautiful IKEA is right there, and it's where we went on our honeymoon (I know - EXOTIC!). :)

Kelsie-Lynn said...

My three favourtie Canadian cities are:
1. Edmonton- Its my home town and its just a beautiful city, easy to navigate, great shopping, beautiful parks, fun stuff to do and my family is there.
2. Victoria-Its so beautiful there and I love the culture of the city...I even like the rain.
3. Saskatoon- Its home now and I know how to get around. I love the river valley parks.
Otherwise I would say my favourtie cities around the world are:
1. Sydney, Australia
2. Cairns, Australia
3. Trujjio, Peru
4. Disney Land...well I haven't been there yet but I KNOW I will love it...and we are likely going there in November...you need to come home so I can tell you about this.

Miss you! See you soon!

Mac an Rothaich said...

I don't travel enough to have one...

Kelly said...

My fave cities are Wpg and Saskatoon, in no particular order.
Some day we'll go to Winnipeg together and I'll show you all that i love about it. We've already been to Saskatoon, to Lawson Heights Mall no less, so that can be scratched off the list of things to do.
Come home soon!