There is always a stigma attached to different jobs - the accountant is a genius but quiet, the doctor is uptight but caring, the business man is a go-getter.. a librarian is .. well.
I feel that when I step into the library, I become someone different. It's almost like I'm entering into a play of sorts. I have a role, library patrons have a role, educators that use the library have a role, the IT guys that come in to fix the library computers have a role. We don't really go by first names, we go by role titles: "Ask the librarian" or "I'm sorry, you can't use that computer as the computer technician is working on it" or "Ask your teacher". I'm not even really "Miss Epp" and I'm certainly not "Sheryl". I'm the Library Technician (or to most people, simply the Librarian or the "other" librarian). So being the library technician, I imagine I step into the role that I think a library technician would play. In movies, the library technician is quiet and studious. She wears cardigans, has her hair pulled back in a neat and servicable bun. She likely wears glasses, a skirt and flat shoes (because high heels are too uncomfortable). She is usually busy working at her computer and will only look up at you if you are making noise or you come up to her desk.
That's part of what I think makes a good Library Technician, for some reason. This picture is burned in my memory.
I'm doing a pretty good job of my role, I believe. I keep an eye on library patrons. I chastise them when they are too loud. I often pull my hair back out of my face. But I rarely wear flats. That's my secret rebellion.
So I suppose my dorkiness only enhances the "role" I play as a library technician. No one really expects us to be socialites. So, I'm resigning myself to the evolution of my character the moment I step inside the library.
3 comments:
Ok first of all whats wrong with cardigans? I love cardigans! Love skirts and since I started volunteering at the kids school library I have been wearing my tall leather boots (oh yeah)! My fav part is chatting it up with the adorable kids! The french kinder-gardeners call me Madame Fehr already! I could keep them all!!! Perhaps it is the work atmosphere and not the position! Perhaps I am touchy cuz this post hits close to home since we share the lib tec career... perhaps I am NOT a dork!;) Oh and I am volunteering with Charlotte (she is the regular lib tec at this school) and she is definitely not socially shy!!
I hope that didn't come across as aggressive (SMILE) you know I love ya!
haha! I LOVE cardigans too and yes, perhaps it's the work atmosphere... but when I go into the public library, I get the same feeling :)
Post a Comment