I was looking online today at Winnipeg weather and came across the Wikipedia entry for the Geography and Climate of Winnipeg. The very first line made me seriously wonder why I live here and how the people here can make fun of "flat" saskatchewan.
Winnipeg, Manitoba lies at the bottom of the valley of the Red River and has an extremely flat topography. There are no substantial hills in the city or its vicinity. The city is relatively isolated; the closest city with a metropolitan population of over 1 million is apporximately 700 km southeast.
Now, what I had really been looking for was much much more encouraging. The Winnipeg climate.
Due to it's location in the Great Plains and it's distance from both mountains and oceans, it has an extreme humid continental climate in that there are great differences between summer and winter temperatures. The openness of the prairies leaves Winnipeg exposed to numberous weather systems including cold ARCTIC HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEMS known as the "Polar High".
It made me very jealous of all those people NOT living in this city. Oh wait. There's just a little more...
From December through February the macimum daily temperature exceeds 0 degrees celsius, on average, for ONLY 10 DAYS and the minimum daily temperature falls below -20 degrees celsius on 49 DAYS. Cold weather and snow will occasionally extend into April...
Oh boy...one more quotation...
According to Environment Canada, Winnipeg is the coldest city in the WORLD with a population of over 600,000.
2 comments:
Lol, why would you read that? I don't want to know what they would say about my neck of the woods!
Oh Geez, like you really needed to go to Wikipedia for all THAT! I LIKE how it EMPHASIZED the WORST PARTS of the city... or was that your emphasis???
Post a Comment