Monday, September 07, 2009

PLUMS IN THE FOREST


Kelly told me to start blogging again. Since I generally take Kelly's advice, I'm going to start blogging again!

Yesterday I went on a walk to the Assiniboine Forest. I love the forest. It's close to my house and has a lot of walking and biking trails. I've been in that forest a lot since I moved here (when it wasn't raining!!).

Yesterday I went on a walk. As I walked into the forest (about 2 blocks from my apartment) I noticed that there was no one in there. This struck me as strange because it was a beautiful night AND it was Sunday night. Usually there are lots of people walking their dogs or just walking around. Maybe the mosquitos have chased them away. Luckily, I had a mosquito spray bottle in hand. It was a wise move!

I was walking around the empty forest on the paved path and I stopped to look at a tree that looked sort of like the one outside my balcony. There were fat, red "berries" hanging from the branches. They were HUGE - probably the size of a cherry. I took one off and disregarding my rule of thumb when out in the woods (Black berries are always edible, red berries: only if you know what they are, white berries are NEVER edible) I picked one off and bit into it.

To my surprise, it tasted exactly like a plum!! It was juicy and sweet. Do plums grow here? Wild ones? or would someone have planted it there?

So that was such a delightful surprise to my walk - there was another surprise that involved a man cooking a hot dog over a fire on a spear-like thing and another tool that looked remarkably like a scythe sitting beside him on the bench. He said something to me and laughed but I didn't understand what he said... I didn't stay in the forest for long after that.

4 comments:

Heather said...

He was probably the Grim Reaper. It's a good thing you didn't stick around to find out.

Kelly said...

can you pass on that 'i always take Kelly's advice thing' to my kids?

Lorrie said...

I'm glad you started blogging again! I did check your blog off and on.... oh, and I take Kelly's advice often too! How can you not!?! She's a keeper!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Very glad the plums where safe, kinda like yah!!

Winnipeg sounds full of surprises. A forest?? How wonderful!