I knew that moving would be a pain because of a few things, like changing addresses, phone numbers, updating information with everyone. I knew, too, that I would have to get my car safetied and licenced, buy some furniture and try to get settled as quickly as possible. I knew that all these things would happen and I really didn't expect that everything would go smoothly. I guess I've just been surprised at which things didn't run smoothly.
In the last month, I have had the worst luck dealing with customer service representatives for three important aspects of my life: furniture, banking and internet/phone/tv.
Let me explain a little so you can share in my annoyance and distress!
Episode #1: FURNITURE
When I first moved here, I bought a table & chair set at Dufresne (and received a fabulous discount thanks to my bro-in-law). I didn't sign up for delivery because I have some family here that was willing to bring it over. So the table and chairs arrive and as I'm putting them together, I realize there are two problems: 1) One of the chairs doesn't actually fit together, and 2) The table top has a scratch right across the surface. This is okay, I think. I phone Dufresne customer service and they approve an exchange (after a series of phone calls and a technician visit to see the damage). Unfortunately, because I didn't sign up for delivery, I have to exchenge the chair and table on my own. The table is 1 inch too large to fit in my car. Luckily, my parents are out and generously offer to help. I exchange the chair & table. The chair is great and already put together... the table, however, still has a problem. I guess it may have been dropped in the warehouse and one corner is crushed. So... I go through the customer service system again, this time a little annoyed that they won't offer to deliver the THIRD table. Finally, I ask what it would cost to get it delivered and I am directed back to my own sales man (who originally sold me the furniture). In no time, he has ordered delivery for the table for me for free. Problem solved! Or so I thought... Dufresne decided to try to deliver the table just on the morning me and Angelle had made plans to go to the MCC sale at CMU. I phone Dufresne customer service one more time and ask to reschedule. No problem, they say. We'll call you next week and set up another appointment. I wait. I wait and wait. Finally, I phone them again. This is what they say "We're sorry, but we don't have authorization to deliver this table to you. It's a pick up order." WHAT?! Maybe the customer service representative hears the disappointment in my voice because she offers to call the store and double check. I am grateful... although I would have been more grateful if she would have taken my delivery reference number that I had received from the store in the first place. Anyway, eventually she calls back and affirms that, yes, delivery is covered. The table should be delivered this evening... I'm not holding my breath.
Episode #2: CIBC
I had an extra account that I had opened in order to keep my Tupperware business separate from my regular account. In the last couple months, however, I set up a debit card with Tupperware that is linked directly to my regular account. I no longer needed my new Tupperware account. I phoned CIBC customer service and requested that they cancel the account. "Sure, no problem" says the CSR.
1 week later, I receive a letter in the mail stating "There was a problem completing your telephone banking transaction." I call CIBC customer service. Oh yes, for some reason, they DIDN'T cancel my account and it had accrued some service charges. I now owed the bank somewhere upwards of $3. In talking with the CSR at CIBC, I ask him again to cancel that account. "Of course," he says... and proceeds to cancel my LINE OF CREDIT ACCOUNT! WHAT?! Thankfully, at the end of the conversation I ask him to repeat the account number that he just cancelled and I caught the mistake. Yikes.
Episode #3: MTS
When I first moved here I realized that there were no free wireless networks to bum off of. I needed to sign up for internet. Although I didn't have tv in Saskatoon, I thought it would be nice to have it. I also thought it might be cheaper to have a home phone instead of using my cell phone for every call. MTS was offering a great package deal (on TV/Internet) so I signed up for that and added a basic home phone package. About 2 weeks ago, I decided that I wasn't using my home phone very much. My cell remains my phone of choice. I called MTS and asked that they cancel ONLY my phone effective June 30. That's today.
Today, I came home from work to find that although my phone works, my internet and tv have both been cancelled.
I don't know how many of you have ever tried to call MTS for any reason (I believe SaskTel is just as bad) but after about 45 minutes of waiting on hold, I finally get through to someone. She is sympathetic, diagnoses the problem but can't do anything about it. She transfers me to another department. I wait for another 45 minutes (that might be an exaggeration, but I did manage to clean up my house and do dishes while I waited. I also changed the bed sheets on my bed and got some stuff together for a supper casserole I am planning on making!). After talking with this other department, they finally figure things out. Of course, it still takes about an hour before my internet is up and running again.
I think they finally got it right. So, for all of you millions out there that read this blog, my home phone is now cancelled. You can phone me on my cell (which is also new - if you don't know it, please email me for it!)
So I realize that this is terribly long. I've just been so frustrated with all these situations. I just don't get why so many complications can happen to one person in such a short span of time! I was hoping I could get you all to sympathize with me!
4 comments:
You have my sympathy. For one, MTS should also have a bundle package that includes Anger Management classes - that would come in handy.
Thanks Mel! I agree about the anger management. It wouldn't be so bad except that it's like it's not problem that an hour and a half of my life has just been frittered away because of a problem I shouldn't have had to deal with!
Btw, my table from Dufresne was delivered today in perfect order! I'm feeling a lot better now.
haha... I feel your frustration with two of those wonderful MB companies! WE used Dufresne for furniture replacement after our house fire a few years ago... yikes. I am still scared, and Owen was in grade one then.
MTS.. I have several bad experiences that I could share.. but I'm in recovery, so it might not be conducive to healing.
I do hear that you'll be having some good company in Manitoba sometime in August?! That should make up for all these troubles.. and those to come. (tip: I would not suggest Assiniboine Credit Union for any banking!)
I hear you! They couldn't even hook up our home phone right during this move of ours. We where without a home phone for two weeks.
I am not surprised though. Sad to say I am only surprised by service calls and companies when they do it right the first time and serve me well.
Post a Comment