Tuesday, September 08, 2009

ROOMMATE

Becky commented on my last post and said that it sounded like I'm having so many adventures! I like her perspective on my daily life. I suppose I should be thankful that my life is not boring (most of the time) and that it seems to be constantly changing. Sometimes, though, I get bogged down in complaining about it and looking for a more interesting set of activities. Maybe I should take advice from Becky and her blog and stop and be "in" the moment!

A few of the adventures that have come upon me lately include acquiring a new roommate! When I moved to Wpg 4 months ago, the housing market was ridiculously competitive. I ended up renting a fabulously large apartment with
a somewhat large price tag attached to it. I thought it would be a bit tight financially, but not formidable. However, since things at my job ended up going a completely different direction than I had anticipated, keeping this apartment by myself has been... well, formidable!

I haven't had a real roommate for about 4 years. I suppose even that roommate wasn't a "real"
roommate situation. We lived at camp so all our expenses were paid for - we just shared the space. I spent a few months last year living with my sister, but even that wasn't quite the same. We shared a lot of expenses, were comfortable with each other, didn't have to worry about stepping on toes, and generally knew what we were getting into! This is different.

I'd advertised for about a month before Tracey phoned me. I am certain that God's hand was at work in this whole process. Tracey and I seem to have a lot in common: both our dad's are pastors, we both come from families with mostly girls and one boy, we are both musical (both of us play piano and guitar). Tracey and I have already had a number of spiritual-ish conversations just finding out where we are each at when it comes to our relationship with God. I've been very very blessed!

I had put off advertising for a roommate simply because my pride didn't want me to. I really like being on my own; independent. I suppose, though, when I really think about it, God does call us to live in community (right Kelly?). I hope I am a good roommate to Tracey. I hope our community (in our fabulously large apartment) can grow and develop both of us through this year!

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the picture size anymore!

Mac an Rothaich said...

Should be an option on that you select before you upload the picture... on the right hand side of the page for uploading pictures.

Your room mate sounds like a God send:)

Community is wonderful and you are still a very independent and able woman even with a roomy! I have five roomy's (wink) and I still love my independence and alone time:D

Kelly said...

hey.. i never read this post. but im commenting so you'll blog some more... :)
i like tracey too. you and tracey should invite me over. for cake.