Thursday, March 12, 2009

I JUST WANNA BE A FRUIT


I ate fruit for the first time in a long time today. Fruit. Strawberries and bananas all cut up together with a tiny bit of sugar on top, actually. It was so divine. It was so flavourful! Most of you know that I’m not very “healthy” in my cooking-for-one existence. I like to buy things that don’t have expiry dates because then I’m not wasting money. Buying fresh fruit, for example, is one of those choices that seems ridiculous to me because fruit goes bad quite fast. Plus, the only real fruit I enjoy are bananas but I don’t even like them A LOT. I just like them. Anyway, so I’ve been filling in for the fruit portion of my diet with things like... cookies. Chocolate. Mostly just cookies. I’ve been doing okay. I’ve been taking some extra vitamins just to make sure I’m not too deficient.

So today when I actually broke down, at the suggestion of my sister (Heather), and bought some strawberries and bananas and then when I actually ATE them... well, I realized what I’ve been missing. And yes, I’m going to make a spiritual analogy here. Isn’t it obvious?

The lesson here is about the “real thing”. I realize lately (and I’ve already blogged about this) that I may have been missing truth and honesty in my life for a long time. I’d take little doses of it in a different form.. like admitting I’m wrong in a situation, or just trying extra hard to be good. It’s decent. I survive on it. But truth.. real, honest, truth. A real examination of what’s underneath my “goodness”.. that is so divine.

I hope you’re okay with travelling this journey with me. I may be blogging about this topic for a long time yet, is that alright? I feel like I have a lot to learn.

3 comments:

Mac an Rothaich said...

Sweet!
I am up for the trip with you!
I LOVE FRUIT! We always buy bunches and bunches and it doesn't last long around our house. Since we switched to organic fruit I can't stop eating it even if there is a cake near by and that is saying a lot since I am a cronic dessert eatter!

Kelly said...

great analogy.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean...totally. Why is it so hard to eat fruit, though? I am very fussy about my fruit -- it has to be just the right ripeness. Bananas have only about a two-day window of time that is ideal -- can't be green but have to be firm. When I eat a fruit salad made by someone else I love it and wonder why I never make them (they taste great with yogurt). Berries are SO healthy ... but expensive. For me eating fruit takes real discipline. But I need to just do it and make it a habit because it's good for me ... however I refuse to force myself to eat fruit that isn't tasty or just the perfect ripeness.

I like your Bible verse at the top of your blog ... this has been a favorite verse of mine for many years.

~Brenda Thiessen