Sunday, September 21, 2008

APARTMENT BEAUTIFICATION

Well, I've been in this apartment for about 3 weeks now. The boxes are all (maybe with the exception of one...) unpacked and the place looks "lived in". It looks like my place (something that will change once Heather moves in. I'm looking forward to her decor expertise finding its way into this place). I have to admit that the place looks like a mix between college student - with the crate-shelving units all over the place, the plaid brown hide-a-bed in the livingroom - and a bit of eclectic personal style - bits of Kenyan memories, paintings by my brother-in-law, the piano and the book shelves. There is no ONE style prevailing. No "modern" or "chic" over-ruling atmosphere in this place. I would eventually like a place with one or the other themes. For now, though, I am contenting myself with eclecticism, colour, memories and making-do.
In the last weeks I've been in conversation with my mother about stealing her flowers. Mom has a whole pile of potted plants that need a home for the winter (at least, that's what I think). Mom has graciously decided to allow me to "borrow" her plants for the next season or so. I'm not confidant that they will remain as beautiful as she has made them, but I will do my best. Today, Dad and I moved in four new, large potted plants. They are setting up shop in the corner of my living room. I really like them there. They provide a bit of colour to an otherwise useless and bare corner of the room. Here they are:
This last week, I've been laying low for a couple of reasons. The first one being that I need a break after a fairly busy spring and summer. The second: I decided to undergo some reconstructive surgery on the scar on my chin. I've had this scar as a part of my face since I was 10 after a dog bite. Now, almost 20 years later, my doctor has finally convinced me that something can be done to improve the look of it. It was a very difficult decision to come to as the change will not be instant. I had to have the surgery, stitches and now there is going to be about a 2-3 month healing process before the "new" scar fades. So far (5 days after surgery) the scar looks better than I expected, though tomorrow I get the stitches out and then I will be able to see the almost finished product. Anyway, I've spent the better part of the last 5 days in my apartment. Mom brought me some flowers a couple days ago and they go really well with the decor of my apartment. Thank you, mom, for the great pick-me-up!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Love the plants! I've never had any luck with indoor plants... hope yours fare well and enjoy your new digs. Just wanted to encourage you while you're laying low... I'll be praying for a quick healing and a great outcome. Take care!

Mac an Rothaich said...

So glad to hear from you! The place sounds fun, new places are always fun and the flowers are sweet. Gotta love moms! Hope to have coffee with you soon... hope the break is a refreshing time for you, my beautiful friend!
TTFN